Sunday, May 10, 2009

Kindness Matters!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WTF?

I was raised to exist in a world where people are people and monsters were myth. Where neighbors were like family and family was (and still is) the strongest bond. Where doing your job was important and above and beyond was the norm. Fair was more than a term in baseball, rules were NOT meant to be broken, charity was in the hearts of all and we helped one another because we should. I know, I was sheltered and privileged and was protected from the evils of the real world, right? WRONG! It is not a given that politicians must lie, cheat and steal their way to the grave. It is NOT only cheating if you get caught. It is NOT a foul only if it causes harm and doing the right thing is STILL the right thing to do. Apathy has led us to this place of fence-building, dog-eat-dog, outta my way and kill or be killed. We have the power to make a change. I am not suggesting that we can cure all ills of society today or even next week but the direction needs to change. NOT MY PROBLEM was a catch-phrase in the late '70s, not a new way to live. If you pull away from the picture far enough, you will see that we are all together in this. Let's start a good virus, one that spreads more rapidly than swine flu and lasts much longer. A "disease" that we all should be infected with. The symptoms are generosity, empathy, courtesy and kindness. That doesn't mean take care of others before yourself but remember others are there. You are not the only one driving, shopping, looking for a parking place, working hard, paying taxes, raising children or donating your time just to name a few. We are in this together and we need to SEE each other. Don't take "it is what it is" for an answer!! Kindness matters!!! Help that neighbor with their garbage cans, help the woman in front of you at Starbucks as she struggles with 3 cups, a briefcase and the newspaper and do it because you can, not because they can do something for you in return. The gift is in the giving. I know-the world is too far gone, people are too litigious, you'll be labeled a masher and that woman in front of you is a jerk, right? Well we are only here by our own actions or inactions and we can only get out the same way. Plant a seed of kindness and help the world grow.

Be good to each other!! (or so help me...)

JJ

2 comments:

  1. Well said! Do you mind if I copy this, edit it a little and put it on my blog?

    Blessings,
    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Jim and "wife" - forgive me, but Marcia did not mention your first name, only "Jim's wife"...haha I am Marcia's mom, Dianne. Deven is our great son-in-law...who could ask for a better one? I have been following your blog for a while now. I can't imagine what you two are going through! You seem to be such strong people, but even strong people have their weaknesses, and I'm sure you have yours at times. I keep you in my prayers and hope that someday soon a transplant can take place for you. Marcia and Deven also keep us in tune with what is going on with you. They are so very concerned about both of you, and I know you have great friends in them. Just wanted you to know that there are quite a few "strangers" out here who are rooting for you every day. I noticed that my other daughter is also following your progress. She is Monica Ezzell and lives in Coeur d'Alene, ID. Anyway, our whole family wishes you the best and hope you can keep up your very positive attitude. YOU keep us going...how you can do that, I will never know. It's the Grace of God, I'm sure and I will honor that thought. Thank you for making all of us realize that there are so many people who do not realize the need for donors, and we tell everyone about you and about how we are also donors if ever needed!! Love to you both and God Bless You Always! Dianne and Bill Bryson

    ReplyDelete