Thursday, March 12, 2009

Who ordered the liver?

Ok. Things are starting to "normalize" again, for my version of reality. I have been thru a couple wild weeks and there is no sign of stopping just yet.

I met with a hepatologist because of an enlarged liver caught on a CT scan. A few blood tests and an appointment that ends with me needing a new liver in addition to a heart due to portal hypertension and cardiac cirhosis is the result. Not what I was looking for. Based on exam etc and the preliminary diagnosis a liver biopsy is scheduled. The biopsy will be the gold standard of proof. The procedure is set to be performed trans-jugular with minimal sedation. The goal is to measure the pressures within the veins near and in the liver and to take some biopsy samples for pathology to examine.

Right after mybiopsy procedure was done, the team reported that they found no portal hypertension or irregular pressures in the veins. This is the finding we wanted and is as positive an outcome as we could ask for to this point. Now we wait for the good news to continue regarding the biopsy findings.

Should things fall my way, I will continue discussions about replacing my defibrulator with a more effective pacemaker. That would require a different surgery to place the new device and add an atrial lead into my heart. Wouldn't be fun without some more surgery.. Woo Hoo!!!

Bright side- the heart transplant team has changed the screening protocols to account for the potential cardiac cirhosis in patients with right heart failure including retroactive exams on patients currently in the program. This "second look" has already identified one patient who will benefit from the further scrutiny and will provide an opportunity that may have presented a huge obstacle in his treatment.

More to come!!

Be good to each other.

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad to hear that your tests came back normal. I'm praying that the biopsy will too.

    Blessings,
    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Jim. We are the parents and in-laws of Marcia (Bryson) and Deven Brinton. We are reading your blog and Marcia ask us to keep you in our prayers. We used to live in SLC, which is where I think you are living at the moment. We are praying for you and hope all your biopsy tests come out fine. Thank you for keeping all of us upbeat... Best Wishes, Dianne and Bill Bryson, Scottsdale, Arizona

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jim - just wondering how the hell you are and what is going on. Been thinking of you since I got your email a while back, and I keep telling people all about you. I need to update my blog with your situation and ask all my stars and angels to be yours as well! I'll try to get to that soon. I keep missing the Thurs. meetings at the U because I am working or have some other appt. That said, you and Cheryl are in our thoughts and we are sending you both big grins, giggles, and hugs.
    - Em

    ReplyDelete